Teaching and learning at Georgia Tech is an exciting endeavor core to the mission of the Institute. In this section you will find quick links to important policies, practices, offices and campus support structures as well as a variety of resources created by the Center for Teaching and Learning to support instructors in the pursuit of excellent teaching. Explore the categories below to find the right resource for you.
If you are new to teaching at Georgia Tech, here is a comprehensive resource to get you started.
Interested in speaking with a CTL faculty member to learn more about the resources on this page? Contact us via email@example.com.
Preparing a Course
- Designing a Syllabus A detailed resource covering all aspects of effective syllabus design, from the function the syllabus to strategies for encouraging students to read and consult it.
- Understanding Course Policies A convenient collection of important Georgia Tech policies related to teaching and learning.
- Locating Important Policies and Procedures Broader set of policies governing academics for both instructors and students.
- Designing an Assessment Plan A step-by-step guide to creating an assessment strategy and plan.
- GT Quick Links Logistical resources for teaching at Georgia Tech, such as the academic calendar, class schedule, and student-faculty expectations.
- Teaching at Georgia Tech Guidebook 2020-2021 edition
- Learning Technology Resources A series of modules on technologies and strategies for enhancing teaching and learning.
- Course Design Studio A yearly event hosted by CTL to support Georgia Tech instructors interested in designing or redesigning a course.
- Facilitating Group Discussions A resource for preparing and facilitating engaging, active discussions any course.
- Dealing with the Unexpected Practical strategies for classroom challenges such as canceled classes, distressed students, "hot" discussion moments, and traumatic events.
- Connecting Across Generations Advice for understanding and working with this generation of students.
- Grading and Assessing Student Learning A comprehensive resource on anything and everything related to grading and assessment at the collegiate level.
- Gathering and Responding to Feedback about Teaching A compendium of strategies for collecting and using student feedback on teaching, including short in-class assessments and facilitator-led focus groups.
- Teaching with Technology A set of blog posts from CTL faculty on leveraging technology in the classroom to engage students.
- Learning Environment Toolkit An extensive online resource to support instructor awareness of the learning environment and its significance in guiding teaching and learning. (PDF version)
Developing as a Teaching Professional
- New to Teaching at Georgia Tech? A comprehensive resource for getting started teaching at Tech.
- Using Individual Development Plans in Mentoring A tool that can be used to chart a personal plan to reach a career goal as well as a mentoring strategy.
- Engaging in Peer Conversations about Teaching Tips for observing and talking with peers about effective teaching practices.
- Conduct a Scholarly Teaching Research Project And overview of what scholarly teaching is and how to practice it for better teaching and learning.
- Engaging with CTL CTL faculty are available to observe a class meeting, conduct a small group discussion with your students, and consult with you individually on your development as an instructor.
- CTL Events and Ongoing Groups CTL offers a variety of events, workshops, and faculty groups that focus on understating and improving teaching and learning.
- Growing as a Future Faculty Member or Teaching Assistant Events offered through the Tech to Teaching program detailing teaching and learning practices.
- Crafting Your Teaching Statement Detailed advice for graduate students and post doctoral scholars developing faculty job application material (includes videos).
- Accessing Teaching Development Resources Full access to the large catalog of Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching, and Learning (CIRTL) for enhancing undergraduate STEM education.
- Attend a Teaching and Learning Conference Teaching and Learning conferences come in all shapes and sizes. Here is a list of 2021 events.